1 tsp coconut oil
500g diced lamb (a little fat on the meat is fine)
1 brown onion
1/3 long red chilli
1 celery stick diced
2 garlic cloves, diced
2 tsp garam masala powder
2/3 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp ghee (or extra coconut if avoiding dairy)
250g coconut milk (1 cup)
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup water
1 tsp sea salt
1 carrot, diced
Squeeze of lime or lemon
Coriander or parsley to garnish
1. Heat a teaspoon of coconut oil in a casserole pot or a large saucepan.
2. Add the lamb and stir it around on high heat until slightly browned. Add the onion, chilli and celery and cook for about a minute, until slightly softened. 3. Bring the heat down to medium.
4. Add garlic, garam masala, turmeric, fennel seeds and ghee (or extra coconut oil if avoiding dairy). Stir through the lamb and cook for a minute to let the spices release their aromas.
5. Add coconut milk, tomato paste, water and sea salt. Stir and bring to boil. 6. Then turn the heat down to simmer and cook for 1 hour, covered with a lid. Stir a couple of times.
7. After one hour, add the diced carrot and cook for a further 40 minutes, covered with a lid. Stir a few times.
8. Sprinkle some fresh coriander or parsley and drizzle a little lemon or lime juice before serving. Serve with your favourite vegetables or cauliflower rice, or real white rice if your heart so desires.